[寫作指導] 課堂作文 Essay |UC System大學申請練習 College Application|教育機會 Educational Barrier and Opportunity|學生作品 Writing Clinic

Describe how you have taken advantage of a significant educational opportunity or worked to overcome an educational barrier you have faced.

When I was in sixth grade, my parents told me that we were going to move to Taiwan, and that I would have to attend an international school where people only speak English and Chinese. My first reaction to this announcement was one mixed with anticipation and despair. Despite being half Japanese and half Taiwanese, I had spent most of my life in Japan, so naturally my Chinese and English abilities were limited. Therefore, in Taiwan, I had a language barrier that I had never experienced before. In Japan, I had an English class, but in Taiwan, I had to take classes in English. This difference makes me encounter a huge educational barrier, and everyday I struggled to understand what my teachers were saying.

When talking to my classmates, my brain would just white out and not a single English word is coming out of my mouth. These moments continued for a few months, and I realized that in order to survive in this new environment, I have to face the situation I was in and come up with my own solution to it. To overcome my struggles, I started to surround myself with English books, and tried to watch movies in English instead of the dubbed versions. Instead of avoiding conversations, I tried to communicate with people despite my poor English, and I actively seek opportunities to learn different languages from my friends. Not only did my English and Chinese improve, but I also frequently used body language to make the communication smoother.

By overcoming these challenges that I encountered, I gradually gained confidence and independence, and I no longer hesitated to try new things. With this newfound confidence, I pursued my interests by joining different extracurricular activities such as soccer and volleyball. Learning English has opened up several doors for me, but the most important lesson I gained is that communication is really about confidence and taking risks, and not only about speaking the same language.

留言

熱門文章