[寫作指導] 課堂作文 Essay|Literature Rewrite 文學改寫|The Joy Luck Club|學生作品 Writing Clinic

 WRITE THE STORY IN THE BOOK FROM A DIFFERENT POINT OF VIEW

(An-mei’s mother’s pov)


I just wanted my daughter to live a life like all the other teenagers. I didn’t have a choice. I had to do this. 

It was the day my husband passed away. As I heard the horrible news, my legs trembled and I fell. I was heartbroken and devastated, not knowing what to do next. How am I supposed to support a whole family without him? I decided to pay a visit to my comfort place, my parent’s house, to clear my mind. It was a 2 hour ride there, so I quickly packed and headed out the house. Before I stepped out, I saw my daughter An-mei staring at me. 

Ma, where are you going?” An-mei rubbed her eyes and looked up.  

Ma is just going to visit my mother and father, I will be back in 3 days.” 

Ma, why didn’t you take me?” 

“An-mei, your aunties will take care of you here. Ma needs to be alone on this trip.” 

I did think of bringing my daughter with me, but I don’t think I will be able to get enough rest while also taking care of her. 

Once I got onto the carriage, rain started pouring down and the coachman told me it wasn’t possible for the horse to walk through all this mud. I got off the carriage and sought shelter under the eaves. I stood there, mind blank, stared at the gloomy sky, and felt a tap on my shoulder. 

“Hm?”

Ninhao, would you like to come inside? It looks like you’re quite lost, and I doubt the rain is going to stop any second.” A woman with a blue dress greeted me and invited me inside. 

I turned around, realizing I was standing in front of the mansion of the richest man in town. I couldn’t care more and I needed warmth. I shivered and nodded. The woman led me in and this was definitely the most glamorous house I have ever seen. 

As I was still submerged in the palace-like rooms, the women spoke again.

“May I ask why you seem so miserable? Why are you alone on such a rainy day?” 

“I have recently become a widow…it has been very hard for me and my family.” 

“Wow…I feel so sorry for you. Hey, here’s your room. You can stay here as long as you want. Call me if you need a companion. I know it’s difficult for you. Trust me, I understand.” 

At night, the servants passed me a cup of camomile, watched me finish everything, and slowly walked out. Of course, I drank it without hesitation. My body began to feel light and not long after, I was dead asleep. 

I couldn’t recall what happened. The only thing I knew was that I woke up beside a middle aged man, with servants kneeling beside the bed, waiting for him to wake up. As I was panicking, the door swung open and the women from yesterday roamed in.

“My dearest husband, how was yesterday night? Was she good enough for you?” She lowered her head, talking softly. 

Wait. What? 

“Your beauty attracted me at first sight. I would like to embrace you as my fourth wife.” The man turned to me and spoke. 

I was very confused. 

Later, I was told that the man, Wu Tsing, demanded a son but none of his wives could birth one. He ordered the second wife to find a woman for him, which was me. I regret this so much but when they told me how much wealth I would be able to enjoy and how I could bring my daughter into this big family, ensuring she would live a great life, my young self couldn’t control and agreed immediately. 

And now, I regret the rushed and uncareful decision. I’m sorry An-mei, this is ma’s fault. But it was all for good intentions, for you to have a better life.

留言

熱門文章