[寫作指導] 課堂作文 Essay|自我敘事 Personal Narrative|自由寫作 Free Writing |學生作品 Writing Clinic

The Mall


I can still vividly recall the first time I danced. I was three, fantasizing about Disney stories. That was the first time I danced like nobody’s watching at a crowded mall on a Christmas vacation. 



The cold storm swept all the people into the mall, and my family was no exception. I got out of the car after taking a nap during the long drive by my dad. I was dozing, but what welcomed me later made my eyes and mouth open wide. Light. Crystal chandelier. Golden balls. Red carpets. Silver deers. Green wreath. The decorations were all hanging against the white ceiling as I looked up. “Merry Christmas,” the doorman kindly nodded his head. I nodded back, blushing, thinking I was one of the princesses walking in a palace. I had to hold tight to my mom’s hand but also was aware not to be distracted by the dazzling Christmas lights and ornaments. “If I were the princess, this must have been the hall in the Disney world,” I thought to myself. 



As I was walking around with my mom, the groove of “all I want for Christmas is you” from the speakers got my attention. As it was played over and over again, my body suddenly couldn’t resist the rhythm and started to sway with the music. Because of my young age, I wasn’t shy or frightened of dancing in front of the public. I enjoyed the music and kept dancing as it got more and more hype. Without noticing, it took me a long time until I realized the group of strangers surrounding me and watching me dance with the beat. Everyone was exclaming about how the adorable child wearing a beanie with pom pom was dancing by herself. It was then I realized how much I loved the feeling of being watched by people and the confidence that was brought up upon me when more and more people crowded up. 



The music finally stopped. I remembered videos of celebrities bowing after their performance, and so I pleasantly did the same. I stole the show. I quickly ran towards my mom as she hugged me and said how proud she was to have a child who has the same energetic personality as hers. We continued our journey throughout the mall as I looked around curiously. I was exhausted after my small performance. I spotted a mermaid-like green logo not far away and thought it was a princess’ castle. I tugged my mom’s shirt and pointed at the shop. She laughed and took me there when I realized it’s not a castle at all. Disappointed, I was going to walk away but then saw apple and orange juice laying on the counter. I was so thirsty that I knew the juices were waiting for me. We went into the shop and I immediately hopped onto the sofa, waiting for my drink. However, before even being able to take a sip, I fell asleep without knowing. 



After this special experience, I’ve always been fond of dancing, especially kpop. During my elementary days, I went to dance class every Saturday with my friends. Every time after class my mom would say “do you still remember the time when you were 3 years old and was dancing with the beat in the mall? I knew you had this talent since then.” It felt like this memory was always on the top of her head because of how many times she had said it without getting tired of it. My dad would just quietly sit beside us, smiling while listening to our “memory recall”. 



Growing up, the piece of memory has always been important in my life. It taught me the greatest lesson: Dance like nobody’s watching. Be present. Be confident. Enjoy yourself. All of these would have been ignored if it wasn’t for the time when I danced in the mall, swaying up to the beat, and recognizing my passion for dancing.

留言

熱門文章